Wednesday, May 20, 2009

South Seattle Tea Estate - Part 2

On the morning of May 14th, my wife and I brewed up all 3 grams of the two-day-old homegrown tea that I described making in my previous post. I am still not quite sure what style of tea I made, but after tasting it and observing the leaves, I've decided to call it "Seattle White Peony" (西雅圖的白牡丹).

The dry leaf has a fairly even mix of oxidation and green bits. It is (if I do say so myself) a gorgeous looking tea.

Steeping in the gaiwan:


Using a 4 ounce gaiwan and 180 degree water, we were able to get 3 good infusions. The tea soup had a light honey-yellow color with a brisk fresh smell. Its unique flavor notes include lilac, rosemary, sweet corn and dry wood. I also picked up a bright grassy taste that reminded me of some first flush Darjeelings. Although it was a refreshing brew, it lacked body and had a slightly weird aftertaste but it was definitely not bad for my first tea making experiment.

Tea soup:


I always get excited when I'm eating homegrown fruits and vegetables, and now I have found the same to be true with tea. I would love to hear some stories from other tea makers, whether you are a pro or just a hobbyist like myself.

The spent leaves:

2 comments:

Alanna said...

That tea was so delicious. I think we need to expand our operations!

Nicole Manha said...

Put me down for some Summer 2010 Seattle White Peony :)