Thursday, January 13, 2011

Floating Leaves' Winter 2010 Lishan

Last week I treated myself to a belated Christmas gift. I bought a couple ounces each of Floating Leaves' new Winter 2010 Lishan High Mountain Oolong (梨山高山烏龍) and Winter 2010 Honorable Mention Wenshan Baozhong (文山包種). This was the first time I'd purchased some tea just for myself in a very long time. Today I'm going to review the Lishan.

I covered the bottom of a small gaiwan with dry leaf and then whipped it up into a "tea cyclone" with boiling hot water. I did not rinse the leaves. After about 50 seconds I decanted my first infusion.

the first infusion


The liquor poured thick and yellow with a delicate floral aroma. My mouth began to water. I haven't had great high mountain oolong in over 6 months.

the third infusion


I really love this tea and I feel like its price ($15 per ounce) is just fantastic for its level of quality in the current North American retail market for seasonal Taiwanese oolong.

My tasting notes during the first 6 infusions included: sugarcane, crisp tart pear, nectar, substantial broth, delicate sulfur aroma, buttery, honeysuckle, and dandelion. My notes for the final two infusions were: thinner broth with delicate pine and rosemary notes.

the spent leaves


The aftertaste lingered all day and I am now one happy oolong drinker. Thanks Shiuwen!

4 comments:

Rhonda Bee said...

I agree, this tea is so lovely. I am just finishing my first session with it. I'm intoxicated by the scent.

Evan Meagher said...

I'm a fan of the Shan Lin Xi that Shiuwen's offering this season as well.

Brett said...

Rhonda - Thanks for the comment :)

Evan - Thank man. I was lucky enough to be given a sample of that Shan Lin Xi tea with this order. My wife and I drank it yesterday morning. I agree... tis Fantastic!

Shiuwen said...

Hi Brett,

Thank you for liking the Lishan!
I hope to see you and your family for tea very soon.
新年快樂!