Monday, June 20, 2011

Thai Iced Tea Recipe

If you ever find yourself looking for a great Thai Iced Tea recipe that is delicious, healthy, vegan and all natural please give this one a try. It serves two.

Ingredients:
• 4 teaspoons of strong black tea (I use an Assam OP)
• 1 pulverized star anise pod (more or less depending on how much you like star anise)
• 1/8 teaspoon of turmeric (basically "a pinch")
• 2 cups boiling water
• 6 teaspoons of sugar (I like brown sugar in this recipe)
• 1 to 2 drops of vanilla extract
• 2 ounces of soymilk
• Ice cubes!
• 2 ounces of coconut milk (I prefer the organic, full-fat kind).



Steep the black tea, star anise and turmeric for 10 minutes using boiling hot water. Strain the leaves and then mix in the sugar, vanilla extract and soymilk. Chill in the fridge for at least an hour. Fill glasses with ice. Pour in chilled tea. Then top it off with a big spoonful of coconut milk.


5 comments:

Sara Shacket said...

Thanks so much for posting this! Can't wait to try it. So much better than the artificial mix that I have!

David said...

Yum, looks delicious. I really haven't had a Thai iced tea in so long due to them being mostly mixes I'm excited to try this.

Alex Zorach said...

This sounds very good. I definitely prefer the way of making it using more coconut milk to those using actual milk (which is a lot less rich). I've even seen some recipes which do not include coconut milk, and I'd avoid using those.

So I would encourage anyone who is not vegan to still try out this milk-free recipe or a similar variant!

(The Lazy Literatus) Geoff said...

That looks delicious beyond measure.. Now...make me one. (Please?)

(The Lazy Literatus) Geoff said...

That looks better than my attempts, by far. Now....make me one! (Please?)