On April 1st, my daughter and I went outside to tour the South Seattle Tea Estate (which is located in our backyard). Last May, the tea estate contained only one tea plant, but thanks to my good friend David W. the number of tea plants has doubled!
An aerial shot of the tea estate taken from the back deck.
(The two tea plants are hiding behind the rosemary.)
A close-up of my two tea plants surrounded by weeds.
I'm not sure what caused it, but during the winter, some of the lower leaves had developed a sort of rot or fungus so I had to pick off a bunch of bad leaves.Yuck!
It was very satisfying to pull out a few of the dandelions that had taken over the garden during the winter.
Die You Vile Weed!
I was very encouraged to see some lovely new leaf and bud sets starting to develop as well as many healthy-looking leaves.
In a few weeks I will harvest some of these pretty leaf and bud sets and attempt to make an oolong tea! Stay tuned for a more detailed post about that caper (because I may even host a casual tasting of my finished tea). In the meantime feel free to click here if you would like to read a review of the "Seattle White Peony" tea that I made last spring.